With Thanksgiving around corner, the pressure might be on to prepare the PERFECT dish to wow your guests this year. If boxed and bought hasn't been getting you very far - we have a fail proof recipe for everyone's favorite Turkey Day side - stuffing. Executive Chef Elgin Woodman suggests upgrading this Thanksgiving staple by preparing a Savory "Bread Pudding" instead - using French baguette, goat cheese and shitake mushrooms.
Why Chef Elgin loves it: "This recipe gets away from your more classic stuffing. The process is easier, you don't have to worry as much about perfecting the moisture! I used thyme as the main herb, but sage works great as well!"
Mouth watering yet? Recipe below!
Savory Bread Pudding
Makes (12) Servings
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 9 eggs
- ½tbs Dijon mustard
- 2oz grated Parmesan
- Pinch of fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 French baguette
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 1lb Shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2tbs Olive Oil
- 2tsp fresh Thyme
- 1oz Arugula
- 1cup crumbled Goat Cheese
- 1oz butter, cut in small cubes
- In a blender, mix milk, eggs, Dijon mustard, grated Parmesan and nutmeg. Season the mix with salt and pepper, reserve.
- Cut the baguette into large chunks.
- In a sauté pan over medium high heat with oil, sauté the onions until translucent. Add the mushrooms and thyme, season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes then cool down.
- In a large bowl, mix the bread with the egg mixture and mushrooms. Let the bread soak for (15) minutes, then toss in the arugula and ½ the goat cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour ½ the mixture into an oven safe container and layer ½ of the butter cubes. Add the remaining half of the mixture then top with remaining goat cheese and cubed butter.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, the remove and enjoy!